Sunday 17 May 2015

The Great Highway Divide

Has anyone got a solution for crossing this car canyon?


A dual carriageway runs under a major roundabout
Queensway underpass: Great for cars, rubbish for everyone else
I know, I know - long time, no write. Well, I've been busy living and breathing. But, finally, it's blogging time! 
In my defence, I have been out there, cycling the quiet backstreets of Southend, looking for my next Savvy Cycle Route. 
Savvy what? Well, to discover my favourite traffic-lite route between Leigh-on-sea to Southend-on-sea just click here. At the moment, it only offers directions one way, but I am working on the return route - Number 2 - honest! 
Today's blog has actually been inspired by my plans for Savvy Cycle Route Number 3. I've just finished checking it out and I'm happy to share it with the world. 
But before I do, there's one little issue that is worthy of a blog: no-go roads. Let me explain.  
I cycle. A lot. It is my primary transport. And it keeps me fit. (To see past blogs on the benefits of turning a commute into your daily gym routine, click here and here.) 
So I like to think I'm pretty road savvy. But even I find some roads so darn brutal that they become hard to navigate. They can literally turn into a barrier for anyone riding a bike, crushing any clever little route you might be planning to use. One such road in Southend is Queensway. 
For a town that won a stack of EU cash not so long ago to improve it's cycling reputation, this road is a disgrace. It carves its way through the very heart of Southend, splitting the town in two. To get from one side to the other takes nerves of steel. 
The main section of Queensway that worries me most runs from Southend Victoria Rail Station down to the seafront. Outside the station it's wide and very busy, but it is navigable if you keep your wits about you. The problem is this bit of the road is at the end of big funnel that focuses all of the traffic from the A127 into Queensway, and Queensway feeds it towards...a giant car park and the seafront. Of course, this is perfect if you're popping down to Southend for a bit of sun, sand and seaside fun. 
After the station, it quickly turns into an underpass - which is great for the cars - but not for anything made out of flesh and blood, like pedestrians and cyclists. As I hope my photo goes to show, this ugly gash casts a terrible blot on the landscape. 
And thanks to the underpass, there is a huge roundabout above it. Naturally, there is no pavement access around the roundabout - far too dangerous! Pedestrians are expected to use a segregated underpass which snakes down into this vile chasm. Of course, being independent thinkers, many pedestrians don't use the underpass at all, preferring instead to literally run the gauntlet of walking to the town centre on the road with the cars. (If you don't believe me, look it up on Google Street Map!) This is especially so at night. Let's be honest, who wants to descend into a dim underworld full of dark nooks and crannies? Not a single Southend councillor I bet! Or either of our town's MPs. 
Cyclists, of course, are road users and should stick to the surface. But even I find this roundabout pretty alarming - and that is putting it mildly. The cars hurtle around it confident that they have complete command of their surroundings. And they do: it's been built for cars, and and loved by cars. However, this no-go road doesn't stop there. 
A pedestrian and bike crossing with a close-up of the control panel
Dedicated crossing: The joint pedestrian-bike crossing in Queensway
Queensway now crawls out of its grave and carries on as a nice dual carriageway, right down to the next roundabout, firmly slicing any routes across it in two. Yes, there are pedestrian crossings - and, yes, they are cycle friendly. But even the council has been stumped by this monstrosity. It's solution has been to encourage cyclists to stick to the "shared" pavements. Something I'm not a fan of. (If you want to know why riding on pavements is so damn confusing, click here.)
To be blunt, it is an eyesore and one of the worst barriers to pedestrians and cyclists. 
Unfortunately, this is the legacy we have to live with in Southend, and a lot of Britain, thanks to our car-fixated forefathers. 
The solution? Well, it's not going to get ripped up, is it? 
I'm loathed to admit, but the everyday answer is I just avoid crossing the town at this point - which is a pain as it is usually the most direct route, and the least undulating, from where I live to the east of Southend. 
And that brings me back to my Savvy Cycle Route Number 3. After much soul-searching, I've finally found a neat direct route that I'm happy with. Sadly, it's a cheat - the only underpass that cuts across Queensway quickly and neatly. 
It would be great if the powers that be could create some clean and safe way for cyclists to bridge this barrier. Until then, this underpass is the best solution I can find. 
And where is it? Well, that'll will be the subject of my Savvy Cycle Route Number 3! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you've read? Hate it? Then get it off your chest here...but only if you want to, no pressure!